Beauty in a Glass
In our previous article we went on a journey through the history of wine and its uses.
Today we want to explore with you the effects that grapes and the “magical drink” can have on our appearances in addition to enhancing our good mood. Let’s start by taking a look at…
Wine can actually be considered a type of food as it contains a high amount of macronutrients (sugars and proteins) and micronutrients (minerals and oligoelements).
- Proteins – wine only has 1-2 gr of proteins per litre
- Enzymes – It is rich in essential amino acids and some contains enzymes useful for digestion (oxidase and pectase)
- Sugars – Only traces of Glucose and Fructose are present in red and white wines but, in liquor wines their concentration may reach 100gr/Lt.
- Water – is about 85% of volume
- Alcohol – Ethanol in wine is present between 100 – 150 gr/Lt.
- Minerals : K, Ca, Mg, Na
- Polyphenols – are interesting molecules with strong antioxidant properties which are at the origin of the therapeutic virtues of wine.
They are a group of about 200 molecules, found within the solid parts of the grapes (grape seeds- the most- and pulp), more concentrated in red than white wine. Among them, we find Resveratrol and Viniferine , two of the most important molecules for the cosmetic industry nowadays. Polyphenols are also present in countless plants, fruits, veg, nuts, seeds, cacao and teas.
Resveratrol, Viniferine & Grapeseed Oil
Resveratrol is a natural molecule produced by grapevines as a protection from daily aggressions. In particular, scientists have found that it is particularly active in plants against fungi. Concentrated in grape skin and stalks, it takes more than 1000 pounds of stalks to make 1 pound of Resveratrol.
Numerous researches have demonstrated that Resveratrol in Red Grapes improves the health of our cells in various ways
- Anti – ageing – in skincare products Resveratrol is excellent for collagen and elastin renewal (by targeting Fibroblasts responsible for the process)
- Activate Sirtuins for anti ageing – Resveratrol has been demonstrated to activate Sirtuins, (silent information regulator two genes) that help DNA repair and reduce inflammation. These are the genes that fight ageing.
– It combats free radicals causing oxidation and protect cells from UV damages
Resveratrol is a powerful polyphenol but highly unstable when exposed to air and sunlight (just like Vit C). Good skin care products will have Resveratrol stabilized with fatty acid in order to work.
Viniferine – Extracted from grapevine sap, it is more than 50 times more effective than Vitamin C to brighten and gently lighten dark spots or freckles, as well as evening out skin tones. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
Grapeseed Oil – It takes 110 pounds of grape seeds to make 1 Lt of oil. Grapeseed oil is non greasy, a dry oil ideal for all skin types. It contains high levels of linoleic acid (omega-6) and Vitamin E. It is one of the safest oils to use for allergy prone skins. Ideal as carrier oils for scents and in Aromatherapy.
Grapes & Beauty Recipes
Our Herbalists @Essereperte have prepared just for us this special collection of DIY beauty recipes:
Crushed Grape-seed Body Scrub:
- ¼ cup of organic brown sugar or pure sea salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed grape seeds
- About 1/3 cup grape-seed oil
- 1 spoon Honey and a pinch of Sodium Bicarbonate
- A few drops of essential oils
You can customize this scrub to your liking by adding more sugar/salt or more oil or grape seeds to add scrubbing power. It smells wonderful and you can decide to add the scent you prefer. We suggest to use Lemon, Geranium, Rose, Lavender, Rosemary or Sandalwood
Detox Bath Salts
To help remove toxins from your body try the following:
- A cup of vinegar
- Two handful of marine coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Sodium Bicarbonate
Nails (magic) Potion
To nourish and repair nails:
- 1 Tablespoon Argan oil
- 1 Tablespoon Grapeseed oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1-2 drops Lemon essential oil
- 1-2 drops Geranium essential oil
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
Hands/Feet Body Scrub
- A handful of fine sea salt
- Grapeseed and Olive oil (half and half) to cover
- Crushed dried leaves of Rosemary and Sage (Rosemary is a natural preservative and strong antibacterial; Sage is anti-inflammatory and disinfectant)
Definitely, L’Uva ti fa Bella… from head to toe ! Seeing is believing!